Dandruff is due to the excessive shedding of dead skin cells from the scalp. Dandruff can happen at any age but is most commonly found in people between the ages of 12 and 80. Dandruff is not an organism like lice; it is just dead skin that accumulates in the scalp. Dandruff is unlikely to be the cause of hair loss. Dandruff is a global phenomenon and many people find that dandruff can cause social or self-esteem problems. Dandruff is an itchy, annoying and persistent skin disorder of the scalp. A dark shirt and dandruff just simply don't go together! There is nothing more embarrassing than to have someone brush white flakes off your new black sweater or denim jacket. In the past ten years dandruff problems in the United States have become more serious and more frequent. In a normal scalp, the process of sloughing off old cells and manufacturing of their replacements is very orderly and complete. In the dandruff scalp, there is mass disorder and often the departing cells are not dead before leaving the scalp.
Dandruff can cause either an overly dry scalp with itchy white flakes that may be waxy or greasy or dandruff can manifest as an oily greasy scalp with scales. Dandruff mostly occurs after puberty, usually between the ages of 20 and 30, and affects males more than females. Dry skin. Simple dry skin - the kind you get in winter when the air is cold and rooms are overheated - is by far the most common cause of itchy, flaking skin. Seborrheic dermatitis. This condition, a frequent cause of dandruff, is marked by red, greasy skin covered with flaky white or yellow scales. Seborrheic dermatitis affects not only your scalp but also other areas rich in oil glands, such as your eyebrows, the sides of your nose and the backs of your ears, your breastbone, your groin area, and sometimes your armpits. Dandruff is the shedding of excessive amounts of dead skin flakes from the scalp.
People who actually have a dry scalp are also dry all over their skin. Some people say their dandruff gets worse when they are stress, anxiety and tension. Dandruff is a chronic condition that can almost always be controlled, but dandruff treatment may take a little patience and persistence. Zinc pyrithione shampoos-These contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione, which has been shown to reduce the fungus that causes dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. Age-Dandruff usually begins at puberty - about the same time as acne. It's common throughout adolescence and young adulthood and peaks around age 40. Oily hair and scalp. Malassezia feeds on oils in your scalp. For that reason, having excessively oily skin and hair makes you more prone to dandruff. Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Zinc pyrithione. Nizoral Shampoo anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Ketoconazole. The antifungal properties of Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Oil) have been reported as useful in the treatment of dandruff.
Dandruff Treatment Tips
1. Washing hair with rubbing alcohol gets rid of the dandruff and leaves hair feeling soft and clean.
2. Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Zinc pyrithione.
3. Nizoral Shampoo anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Ketoconazole.
4. Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Oil) have been reported as useful in the treatment of dandruff.
5. Selenium sulfide been reported as the most effective of the tested shampoos at treating dandruff.
6. Oral anti-fungals and oral antibiotics if your scalp becomes infected.
7. Topical corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, keratolytics to remove thick scaly patches.
8. Nizoral Shampoo anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Ketoconazole.
9. Tar containing shampoos are also used for treatment of dandruff.
10. Washing hair with rubbing alcohol gets rid of the dandruff and leaves hair feeling soft and clean.
Natural Weight Loss Tips